Iran Cultural and Educational Center
Persian Language Development by Proficiency Language Skills Levels
Novice Mid – First Grade
All About Me (Please Note: Discussion about family could be based on a teacher-made story.)
- I can say my first and last name.
- I can say my age and grade level.
- I can exchange information about my name, age and grade level at school.
- I can write my first name.
- I can talk about my birthday.
- I can tell my friends and classmates about my likes and dislikes.
- I can indicate my family members’ likes and dislikes.
- I can talk about my pets saying their names, age and characteristics, such as big, small, friendly, unfriendly, etc.
My Daily Routine
- I can talk about what time I get up in the morning and what time I go to bed in the evenings on both weekdays and weekends.
- I can read and write time, as related to my daily routine.
- I can name days of the week in the context of my activities.
- I can describe my daily routine on both weekdays and weekends.
- I can exchange information about what I do to help at home.
My Hobbies – Seasonal Leisure Activities and Holidays
- I can name the seasons in the context of academic year, such as school starts in the fall. There is no school in the summer. New Year is during the winter break. etc.
- I can answer questions about the seasons in the context of academic year.
- I can read/write/copy/label the seasons and weather conditions.
- I can describe weather conditions during different seasons.
- I can indicate my favorite season and say why.
- I can exchange information about activities I like to do during each season.
- I can indicate holidays relevant to each season.
- I can share my favorite holiday and indicate why.
- I can describe American and Iranian holidays and ask and answer questions. (Thanksgiving, New Year, Persian New Year).
- I can name parts of the Haft Sin and identify/describe their meaning.
- I can indicate what I eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
- I can exchange information about what I eat throughout the day.
- I can read/write/copy some of the food I eat daily.
- I can classify food I eat based on food groups, i.e., dairy, fruits, vegetables, grains, protein.
- I can classify food samples as healthy and unhealthy.
- I can draw and label a visual ad depicting a healthy diet and present it to the class.
- I can state similarities and differences of what people usually have for different meals in Iran and in the U.S.
- I can exchange information about special foods that are served for special occasions like turkey for Thanksgiving and sabzi polo and mahi for Persian New Year.