Iran Cultural and Educational Center
Persian Language Development by Proficiency Language Skills Levels
Advanced Low – Sixth Grade
Where in the World – Why do people travel? US and Iran – Regions – Cultural Practices and products – Environmental Issue (Fars Province)
- I can explain why people travel to different places in general and their country of origin in particular.
- I can present information about geographical features of the region we will be visiting as part of a virtual trip to Iran.
- I can compare geographical features of the region we will be visiting with the state where I live and share their similarities and differences with my classmates.
- I can identify major cities of the region we will be visiting by locating them on a map.
- I can present/share information about agricultural and industrial products of the region and compare them with those of the region where I live.
- I can present information about some local dishes and their ingredients, which one you recommend and why.
- I can share information about cultural products/crafts and artworks of the region we will be visiting and make suggestions about what to bring back as gifts.
- I can make a presentation about major tourist attractions/ monuments in Fars province. (Persepolis, Pasargad, Bagh-e-Eram, Sang Shekanan Cave, Vakil Bazar, Nagsh-e-Rostam, Tomb of Hafiz, Tomb of Saadi, etc.) and respond to questions.
- I can act as tour guide to plan where to go and what to see during a four-day visit to the province, present it to the class and justify my choices.
- I can make a presentation about why people should visit Shiraz/Farse Province and respond to questions.
- I can present information about notable personalities from Shiraz. (Mulla Sadra, Saadi, Hafiz, Simin Daneshvar, Ebrahim Golestan, Valerie Jarrett)
- I can research to find information about environmental issues that Fars province is facing and their causes.
- I can research to find information about the impact of air pollution on daily life of people in Fars Province, present and discuss the results.
- I can research to find information about air pollution in large cities around the world including in the US and their causes and present the results.
- I can share information about steps that different countries have taken to help decrease air pollution.
- I can share information about worldwide youth movement to protect the environment.
- I can explain why it is important to be involved and protect the environment.
Get Involved – What does it mean to be a Global Citizen? – Why do people need to care about local and global issues?
- I can identify some major issues affecting people around the world.
- I can identify some issues that are universal and some others that mainly affect certain regions/populations.
- I can locate on a world map, areas that are mostly affected by selected issue and research to find out about their causes.
- I can research to identify selected humanitarian organizations and their missions.
- I can select a cause I am interested in and present an action plan to help with the cause.
- I can make a presentation about what it means to be a global citizen.
My Future Plans – Professions – When does planning for professional life begin?
- I can identify skills we learn at an early age and explain why.
- I can identify selected skills that are universal and explain what universal means.
- I can interview adults to find out professions that were in demand when they were growing up.
- I can research to find out a range of diverse professions that are in demand today and why.
- I can compare professions that were in demand when parents were growing up and those that are in demand to identify their similarities and differences and discuss the results with the class.
- I can explain professions I am interested to pursue in the future and why and how I am preparing for it.