Iran Cultural and Educational Center
Iran Arbabi Scholarship Program
The Iran Arbabi Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to students of Iranian descent entering or attending an accredited post-secondary institution. The scholarship is granted annually to at least one eligible applicant, selected based on the eligibility criteria listed below. An independent committee that consists of a panel of distinguished scholars and chaired by a member of the ICEC Board of Trustees screens applications in the summer. Members of the selection committee may also interview the finalists. The recipient (s) may use the scholarship to attend an accredited college across the United States. Scholarships are not limited to any specific field or career objective and may be used to pursue any academic discipline for undergraduate or graduate studies.
For the academic year 2019-2020, two separate scholarships will be awarded to applicants who meet the eligibility requirements and are selected by the Selection Committee. The second donation has been made possible by a donation from the National University of Iran Alumni Association.
Applicants should meet the following requirements to be considered for the Iran Arbabi Scholarship. They must:
- Be of Iranian descent
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawfully reside in the United States
- Submit verification of participation in activities that promote Persian culture and heritage to include, but not limited to attendance at a Farsi language school, participation in Persian art or cultural group (music, dance, theater, etc.), volunteer activities for a Persian community-based charity, active participation in a Persian student association, etc.
- Attend, or be accepted for attendance at, an accredited American college or university in a full-time undergraduate or graduate degree program.
- If attending an undergraduate program:
- Possess a high school diploma, or the recognized equivalent of a high school diploma,
- Have good academic standing (GPA of 3.0 or higher)
- If attending a graduate program:
- Possess proof of successful completion of undergraduate studies, i.e., Bachelor degree
All participants need to:
- Complete and submit a Scholarship Application Form along with:
a) Two letters of recommendation; at least one letter should be from an instructor/professor or other high school/college professional
b) Two one-page essays each on:
i) What are your dreams and aspirations?
ii) How has your cultural heritage formed the person you are, and in what way will this serve you as an asset to promote Persian language and culture in the future?
- An official transcript with the college seal on it
Important Application Dates
May 1, 2019 – ICEC starts accepting applications for the 2019-2020 school year. The Application Form will be available for download from the ICEC website at:
June 15, 2019 – Final postmarked deadline in order to be considered for the 2019-2020 Scholarship Program. Application materials must be mailed in one packet to:
Iran Abrabi Scholarship Program
Iran Cultural and Educational Center
12030 Gatewater Drive
Potomac, MD 20854
Transcripts and letters of recommendation should not be sent separately. Incomplete, e-mailed, or faxed applications will not be considered. Winners of the scholarship will be notified by August 31, 2019 and names will be posted on the ICEC web site.
The Iran Arbabi Scholarships may be used to supplement existing benefits from the student’s college or university, or from other foundations or organizations. Recipients may use the scholarship to cover the costs of tuition, fees, room, and board. Funds will be paid to selected candidates upon receiving transcripts and proof of course registration and enrollment.
Financial need may be taken into consideration in awarding a scholarship. If the Scholarship Committee determines that financial need will be taken into consideration, the applicant may be required to provide financial information at a later time. Such financial information would include, but not limited to, federal income tax returns of the applicant. If the applicant is claimed as a dependent on the federal income tax return of another person, then that other person’s financial resources will be considered in assessing financial need. DO NOT INCLUDE COPIES OF FEDERAL TAX RETURNS WITH THE APPLICATION PACKET. IF THEY ARE SUBSEQUENTLY REQUIRED, THE APPLICANT WILL BE SO ADVISED.